Friday, April 18, 2014

Serving God

“You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.”  Galatians 5:13

Lately, I've been meditating on ways to serve God. We are called to serve him faithfully and with all of our hearts. How? How do we serve our creator, our Father in Heaven, the Lord of Lords and King of Kings? I've prayed for guidance and I’d love to share what I have found so far.

Note: I do not have all the answers (but who does really?!) however, it’s been placed on my heart to share His word and that is what I’ll do. Additional ways to serve are welcomed.


1.       Serve God through your family.
Simple. Right? You will think the same as you read along. Give yourself to your family and serve them with a heart full of love. It’s the best way to serve God.

2.       Give tithes & offerings.
There are many thoughts on tithing, but almost everyone will agree that serving a brother or sister who hurts financially is important. We are called to help the helpless.

“Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do it” Proverbs 3:27

3.       Volunteer in your community.
We often scare ourselves out of duties by thinking up imaginary evils (excuses). Keep an eye out on your church bulletin for volunteer work. A simple Google search will pull up many volunteer opportunities to sign up for.

4.       Donate Clothing + other goods.
Hello Goodwill! (And please donate things you would wear and use yourself)

5.       Be a friend!
Because who doesn't love and need a good friend?!

6.       Serve children.
Jesus Christ loves children and so should we. I read a quote once that said “Be the person you needed when you were younger.” I could not have said it better myself.

7.       Mourn with those that mourn.
Visit AND listen to those who are suffering. Once, I had a friend that I would call each time I cried over an ex-boyfriend (so I wouldn't embarrassingly call him begging and crying.) At the time, this was my biggest heartbreak and I was so grateful to have that friend be there and listen (although most of the time I cried more than I talked.)

8.       Share your talents.
“But I have no talents.”

A lie straight from the enemy. Maybe you cannot dance, sing, act, or talk in front of a large crowd but are you patient? If so, care for the little rascals during Sunday school. Are you organized? Then maybe organize some events for your church or connect group.

Everyone has at least one talent. Pray that God will reveal it to you and that those skills may be developed and improved.

9.       Simple act of kindness.
My favorite! These can help either start someone’s day off on a good note or cheer up a person who’s had a long, hard day.

Some examples:
  •     Paying for someone’s food
  •     Giving up your seat in the bus
  •     Returning a lost item


There are thousands of ways to serve God and not all ways are risky or time consuming. Don’t believe the lie that says if you are not traveling or singing in the church choir you are doing nothing. Love people. Love people the way our maker loves people. Love is all that is needed.


“The greatest among you will be your servant” Mathew 23:11

No comments:

Post a Comment