Friday, May 23, 2014

Fitness - Core Strengthening



Now that the spring semester has ended, I have been trying to get back into the routine of going to the gym. Gym time was put aside for Kayleigh time. Though well worth it, I've noticed some body fat attempting to join me on my summer time adventures. A giant no no in my book!

After two weeks of only cardio (30 min/3-4 times a week) I saw no difference. However, I knew better than to believe half an hour on the treadmill would make a radical transformation on my appearance. Lifting weights for me is scary & unknown and yet I knew that the idea could no longer be ignored nor avoided. 

With little no knowledge on the matter, I contacted a church friend (leader of our health/fitness group) for some tips. Instead, I received a four week plan to strengthen my core! Once the four weeks are done with, a second plan (involving lifting and the use of equipment) will follow. Being a newbie, it has been difficult learning new things on my own as well as getting over the fear of being watched or judged on my lack of strength. Still, I am excited for what is to come. Hurray for healthy living! 

Here is the plan:

First Week
1 set of 20 reps + 1 min jump rope + 30 cardio (5lb weights)

Second Week
2 set of 20 reps + 1 min jump rope + 30 cardio (10lb weights)

Third Week
3 set of 20 reps + 1 min jump rope + 30 cardio (15lb weights)

Fourth Week
4 set of 20 reps + 1 min jump rope + 30 cardio (20lb weights)

  • Stability ball squat
  • Back band row
  • Stability ball chest press
  • sit up or crunch (on ball)
This plan should be done 3x per week. 

Till next time,
Alondra Karwowski



No comments:

Post a Comment